Monday, June 8, 2015

Running Like a Girl: Notes on Learning to Run Big SALE

Title : Running Like a Girl: Notes on Learning to Run
Category: Memoirs
Brand: Scribner
Item Page Download URL : Download in PDF File
Rating : 4.5
Buyer Review : 95

Description : This particular Running Like a Girl: Notes on Learning to Run works great, simple to operate and also modify. The cost of is was lower as compered to other areas My spouse and i explored, rather than far more than related merchendise

This kind of thing provides surpass the prospect, this one has become a fantastic replace on myself personally, The idea arrived securely as well as swiftly Running Like a Girl: Notes on Learning to Run


The inspiring, hilarious memoir of a “Bridget Jones-like writer” (The Washington Post) who transforms her life by learning to run, with stories of miserable defeat, complete victory, and learning to choose the right shoes.

When Alexandra Heminsley decided to take up running, she had hopes for a blissful runner’s high and immediate physical transformation. After eating three slices of toast with honey and spending ninety minutes creating the perfect playlist, she hit the streets—and failed spectacularly. The stories of her first runs turn on its head the common notion that we are all “born to run”—and exposes the truth about starting to run: it can be brutal.

Running Like a Girl tells the story of getting beyond the brutal part, how Alexandra makes running a part of her life, and reaps the rewards: not just the obvious things, like weight loss, health, and glowing skin; but self-confidence and immeasurable daily pleasure, along with a new closeness to her father—a marathon runner—and her brother, with whom she ultimately runs her first marathon.

But before her first marathon, she has to figure out the logistics of running: the intimidating questions from a young and arrogant sales assistant when she goes to buy her first running shoes, where to get decent bras for the larger bust, how not to freeze or get sunstroke, and what (and when) to eat before a run. She’s figured out what’s important (pockets) and what isn’t (appearance), and more.

For any woman who has ever run, wanted to run, tried to run, or failed to run (even if just around the block), Heminsley’s funny, warm, and motivational personal journey from nonathlete extraordinaire to someone who has completed five marathons is inspiring, entertaining, practical, and fun.


Review :
Very inspirational book!
I liked this book so much I bought two more copies for friends who, admittedly, already love to run. Still... I wanted them to know that I *get* it after reading this book. She is absolutely right in that we have everything we need to get moving. You just have to start somewhere. And after I read this book, I went running for the first time in more than 30 years... and survived to write this review!

Not too old
Loved this book. Coming from someone who started running at 56 .. I appreciated its honesty and humor! Never quit trying!

Made my first few weeks of running easier and joyful!
This book has made me laugh until I could hardly breathe and cry just as hard. I have always been the least athletic person in my family. I was the one with the best grades and the nerd, so I found excuses not to even try physically in PE at school. I told myself it just wasn't my "thing," even though I secretly envied those who were athletic and fit. I started a 5k training program a couple weeks ago, and heard myself saying inwardly, "You can't do this. You aren't physically strong enough." Being a cancer survivor and having a rare lung disease would be easy excuses for me, but they taught me that I am stronger than I thought- and now I want to be a runner. Just for me. I want to prove to myself that I can use my body to move me forward, not just be a victim and suffer its illnesses and pains. This book has given me such courage through the first two weeks of training, and I know I will reread it over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment